Search This Blog

Monday, March 16, 2015

A Favorite Poem of Mine


This is one of my all-time favorite poems by Robert Frost. When in College we took it apart verse by verse. Most of the people and even my professor thinks that this is a dreary poem about death, but I had a different view--as I always do- about the meaning of the poem. Here it is and what I think it all means is after:

Stopping By Woods On A Snowy Evening, by Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there is some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Well I think it is about someone who has been on a long journey and is passing by one of their neighbor's house on their way home.  Back then houses were far from each other--like a mile or more in the country.  This guy in the poem says that he has many miles to go before he sleeps.  Now in the way they travelled back then, in horse a carriage, even a mile would seem like a lot if they were out in the snow and cold.  I see it as this guy can't wait to get out of the cold and snow.  I feel that this guy is wanting some warmth in his bed and some food in his belly.  He seems to be longing for a time that he can finally sleep in a warm and dry place.

That is how I understand it all.


How about you?  Do you see it dreary or like a yearning to get some sleep in his warm bed or do you see it differently than those two?

No comments:

Post a Comment